Friday, June 9, 2017

Back at it...

I know people get tired of me saying what a crazy season of the year, tax season is for our household.  And so I'll just say, another one has passed.  But as our business evolves, and as technology advances, and more people have more stuff, we find the offices are not cleared out like they have in the past.  Summers were quite leisurely around here for years...  Then we had our summer of 2 weddings, a graduation, and a relocation of a kid to Florida.  And that was when the realization kind of hit.  We aren't ever "caught up" anymore.  My table/desks are piled with projects and look-ups and extendeds and just a variety of other paperwork.  It's not meaning to be a complaint, as much as an explanation.  And along with the realization, is the need to adjust my thinking.  I've got to relieve the pressure to finish and clean off the desk.  I am a "maker".  I make things.  And they get finished.  And then I make other things... OK.. if you come into any room in my house, you just MIGHT see something that is not finished.  But I don't really feel good about it.  So, as I move through this next stage of life, and business growth, I'll just have to remind myself how blessed I am to have enough to eat, and clothes to wear and a house to live in and a quilt or 3 to cover up with.  And quit worrying about the stuff that's always left over for tomorrow...


And now, now that we are into June, I'm getting on a more personal roll.  I am slowly easing into doing some crafty things again.  I did go to my friend at TADA Quilting and long arm quilt 2 king sized quilts.  And I have some scattered pieces going for another quilt.  Perhaps one fitting for a baby girl.  And a friend, whose daughter is graduating this month was talking about looking for new cushions for her outdoor furniture, because hers were faded and dirty, but they were so expensive.  And I said "well!  We can just get some fabric and put covers on those old cushions."  But she told me she didn't sew, so they are all beautifully covered.  With a 60% off outdoor fabric sale, and additional 15% off the remainder, we bought the fabric to cover 6 cushions of various sizes, 2 spools of thread and 2 discount outdoor pillows for less than the price of one of the larger cushions.  And she loves them.  And they really didn't take that long.  The harder part was figuring out and doing the first one, then improving on it to do the next one...and then going back to rip out the whole first one for a redo.
Along with sewing, I have found a little time to read again.  I still have a batch of unread magazines, but that is wonderful for summer and camping.  But I've read these books in the last month or two.  Looking for another to start this weekend.  I have another in the camper, but I have a "few" right here.  Does anyone else tend to handle being overwhelmed and time squeezed by doing something like buying books you wish you had time to read, or fabric you wish you had time to sew?  Yeah, me neither...  I think I have another picture to share... better end this as I make a new effort to BLOG MORE AND FACEBOOK LESS...

No comments: