Monday, January 5, 2015

Every Day a New Adventure...

Yesterday morning we got up and walked the dog before church.  It IS January in Western NY, so it SHOULD be winter and cold and snowy.  But it was 54 and we just had sweatshirts and there was just a bit of mist, so I put on my baseball cap to shield my glasses.  And within 5 minutes of arriving home, there was a great downpour and I just figured God knew I was going to the shower and I didn't need a pre-rinse that day.

 But THIS morning.  It is 23 or so, and snowing.  Oh, is it snowing.  Lots of snowing and blowing and cold and icky and ice under the snow.  You just never know what's going to be out there in the morning.  hmmmm....





But last night, before it snowed, we loaded a bus with a few adults and a bunch of youth, and headed over to Bemus Point United Methodist Church.  They had invited us to their winter event.  It is a concert of their youth bands.  They have a progressing, perhaps is the word, group of youth bands.  Last year the younger ones are jr high age, the next a little older and the oldest has mostly college kids, I think.  The older group being the ones who performed the longest.  This year the youngest went first, then the oldest, and the featured group was the middle age. 

One of them, being a senior girl who spoke from the heart and just inspired and challenged me to quit doubting and worrying and give it to Jesus.  hmmm..it appears this picture just might be sideways.  wonder how I fix that??  anyway...She is stressing over which college to attend and filling out tons of scholarship applications and trying to catch up on homework that needs doing and she's so afraid of making the wrong choices and disappointing people.  But she said she sat crying in the cold woods, with her devo, trying to journal while tears mixed with cold rain on her face and decided that God loved her so much that he wouldn't let her make the wrong choice.  She had to TRUST.   And I thought how often I don't just TRUST God, cuz you know, I think I'd better help him because he gives me strength and I should just suck it up and use that strength and am I not using it against myself sometimes??
  And then there was the music...such good music....re-bumped me to want to learn to play the guitar, even just for myself...  Perhaps the bucket list for 2015.  Don't you think every well-packed camper should contain a guitar??  yep.  Just a nice acoustic model...
That same girl, I believe told us that they were playing for God and using the gifts he gave them.  And if we didn't have those gifts, don't feel bad, cuz God has provided everyone with gifts to use.  Probably wrong to wish mine was that girls voice.  But I really should be working to make her devotion a model for myself.  How often do we start out great gun headed in the wrong direction and so many things of life come flying at us and we don't even realize how many steps we've taken off the path we intended to be on.  Every day is a new beginning...


That's a summer picture.  Today's picture?  Not so much sun....or green...or visibility...keep smiling!!

1 comment:

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

Love your snow pictures - very jealous as it is too hot here!
What an inspiring night. Sometimes God speaks to you somewhere you are least expecting it. Like last year, I wasn't expecting a 16 year old girl's deb speech to be so inspiring to me. Had to hide tears from hubby! There are some amazing youth out there and I just pray they don't get 'eaten up' and lose their passion.