Sunday, July 5, 2009

Jars...

So anyway...I put up a note on the bulletin board at church. I was looking to score a few dozen leftover canning jars from a retired canner's stash. What I got last year was an offer of jars from the widow and they still have stuff in them, but he'd give me a spot on his farm to dump them. Do you think I would gag too much?? and some are glass lids...I never did glass lids. Do I want glass lids?? how do I do them? I've only done the button goes down and it is sealed lids... Now I don't want to look a gift jar in the mouth, but what do you think and what do you know?? I really wanted to CAN in them, not use them for decoration, which would make those glass lid ones awesome... but truth be told, I have some decoration ones right now. And today I got another offer of the glass top ones. Oh, what is a canner to do?? Guess I'd better go clean up some strawberries for the jam I'm going to make for my freezer after BIBLE SCHOOL tonight. It will be awesome and the crowds will go wild. OK, maybe not, but I will feel better, since there are some seriously ripe berries in there and as soon as I get this whole home network computer thing fixed again, I will post some loverly pictures and my July 4th stories. And because of some factors here, the fireworks were able to be viewed from the backyard this year, but not knowing that, I walked down the hill with a friend and her stroller and we watched from the grass down there!! Knowing that we can watch then from the yard, I'll stay up here next time. Don't tell the assessor- she'll raise our house value AGAIN!!

1 comment:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I "scored" some glass lidded jars last year at an estate sale, but was then told I should not use them for canning. The rubber rings are not near as safe as the metal lids, so I use them to store my grains and beans. I find them at garage sales, and got a box of 75 quart jars for $7.50. But you still have to buy lids and maybe rings. Still better than the $10 a doz. for new ones.