Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Yarn Along May 22nd

" ~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~  Ginny at Small Things "
 

I finally finished The Graveyard Book.  It was a slow read for me. It was not my normal area of interest.  I've avoided the vampire/dragon/ghost style of book. I'm really not that into it.  But it was a good enough book.  I'm not sure I'm sold on it for kids to read.  My 6th grade buddy - not at all.  Parts of it have good lessons - the beginning and end - not so much.   I think I need to back up 20 years or more to find some clean, calm quiet book.  So back to the Library I went.  Picked up 3 more Newbery books and the newest Debbie Macomber.

I think I'm starting with Dear Mr Henshaw by Beverly Cleary.  I'm pretty sure that I read this once upon a time, but can't remember it, so I'm going to re-read.  And I'll probably be reading Starting Now at the same time.  One thousand gifts is one I'm trying to fit in, but haven't gotten far enough to be really into it.  I have one on my Kindle, Once Upon A Time, There Was You, by Elizabeth Berg...reading in the between.  I'm not so good at this multiple book reading thing.  I drop one and read fully another.  I can't be 'into' 2 books at once...well, maybe a fiction and non-fiction, but not two good fictions.  Gotta quit trying to upset my good reading habits by confusion!!  Are you reading anything good these day??
I've been feeling a bit of the pressure of the upcoming graduation.  I need to complete 3 quilts, 2 pillows, and an awesome scrapbook.  I have one quilt completed and ready to mail, the second top pieced and ready to layer and need to pick up a backing, measure the batting and stick it all together.  I've been machine quilting them on the Juki I bought last year. I'm learning as I go and enjoying the extra quality and durability of being quilted instead of tied.  Next up are the projects for my own senior.  They are very personal and special...and harder to do.  Everything will change for us with highschool graduation.  I have experience with this.
So, there is no post of the knitting that is not really happening.  I took it to one ballgame last week, and it was raining so I left it right in the car.  The next game was nice, but I forgot it at home.  I can knit for an hour or so and not see the results because the yarn is so fine.  I took the vest along camping, but it wasn't calling as loudly as the quilt and it needs a bit of good concentration to get me going on it again.  Maybe next week.  But in the meantime, I've got a zipper pouch with the shawl, a zipper pouch with a Christmas stocking, a plastic bag with one and a start for a pair of fingerless mitts.  Grab and go and never lacking for projects.  Are you that way?  Always wondering which thing to work on?  Or do you just start one and go along with only that until you are done, then find a new project??
Have a great day Yarning Along....

2 comments:

Maria said...

I think one thousand... is a very nice book!

Deborah Hamilton said...

I read Starting Now and really enjoyed it.