Wednesday, December 5, 2012

just a note

I should be working...or writing a Yarn Along, because it is Wednesday, after all.  But instead I'm just going to share this bit of wisdom....
At Thanksgiving, I was examining my potholders thinking how disgusting they really looked.  I knew they were clean for the most part, but does anyone else wash and dry the potholders and they still don't really look or smell clean?  They just seem to have an old grease smell.
So I did  what any good 50yr old homemaker does...no, I didn't call my mom this time.  I GOOGLED it.  And I got a board and on that board, I saw responses to the question such as "You are supposed to wash them?"  and they weren't joking...or people just throw them away...or they were concerned because they come out looking beat up.  I was just looking for clean looking and smelling, so I followed someone's advice.  I got my bucket, put some OXYCLEAN in the bottom and put a pile of potholders in and filled it up with HOT water.  I mean, what did I have to lose?  I soaked them all night and that water was nasty.  This morning, I dumped the bucket in the sink, squeezed the water out of each potholder and tossed them in the washer with some towels.  SUCCESS!  It was worth the effort and I think I've saved them.  Now, if someone gets me new potholders, I won't turn them down, but I feel better about these old faithfuls...
I just thought you'd want to know...
Have a happy day!!

1 comment:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Terrific! I toss mine in the washer every other week or so.

And what is it about potholders; they last forever. Unless they get too close to the gas flame....