Tuesday, April 13, 2010

when did it happen??

As I looked in the mirror this morning, brushing my caps, I mean teeth...looking through my bifocal lenses at my newest chin, I wondered..When did this happen?
When did just doing and being, become not enough and now we have to diet, work out, exercise, and re-hab just to maintain what we had all along? When did I stop moving and start watching? When did I start settling? And I'm busy now..busier than before, perhaps, or just in different ways, but my busy is more time and not action. I don't want to be skinny..heck I was born bigger than some of my friends are now! But I want to maintain 'healthy'. Can't I do that without really trying? Does it have to be a conscious effort? Do I have to schedule healthy 'cuz I'm over 40?? Yes, I know, over 45? Are you close to my age and you've been to the doctor and heard the dreaded phrase "at your age..." which can preface pretty much any thing that is wrong with you...you're hearing's as good as it's going to get, you eyesight is fixed as much as we can fix it, your teeth are OK with caps on top..for now.., that knee, not bad for the operation, and hey, as long as we're at it...naw, we won't go there in mixed company. I peaked and I didn't even realize it!!
So, I look in the mirror and smile at the me I've become...the gray hairs and wrinkles, the scars and bruises of life, making me the person that I am.
Anyone want to go for a run?? Nah, me neither, let's just go for a Blizzard instead....

9 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Great post, and I can truly relate.

Truly.

=)

PS. Make mine just the plain vanilla cone...the medium one. =)

Be Still and KNOW... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Be Still and KNOW... said...

Mint Oreo Blizzard please... have to drive OR we can Walk to Cook-out for one of 39 flavors of Fancy Shakes... or (my favorite!) walk to Chick-fil-A for a Peach Shake...

Sue from Corry said...

Oh Karen, you are too funny - it's just what I needed to read! Thanks!

Conny said...

It happened while we were busy living. I'm "over 45" too, so let's share a Blizzard and then go for a good, long walk.

Cheers friend.

Unknown said...

A Blizzard sounds good to me!

Ripley Library said...

I really do remember when the doc told me I was doing great "for someone my age". I seem to remember walking out of there feeling 10 years older than when I walked in! :-) That's ok. I still get up everyday, thanking God that he gave me another chance to see what I can accomplish even if it takes me a little longer to get it done than it might have the day before.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you are a trip! =) I needed the giggle. Age just happens; my pregnancy stretch marks are called tiger stripes. *growl*

Hen Jen said...

yes, I hate that it is so much work now to not get fat, forget being skinny! I'd rather sit down and have dessert and read, instead of running!!
:)