Monday, November 30, 2009

My failed project this weekend...

This is my faithful assistant posed with light on his head... see we were trying to replace this light switch and I thought it was a 3 way. Although I've never done one of those before, I was confident that we could figure it out, just by following the old example...not so...
After unscrewing and re-screwing the wires onto the little screws on the side right side up, upside down and checking the internet numerous times, we still had no juice and then I stumbled upon another possibility and when I looked at my old switch - low and behold! It was a 4way switch. So I made a detour to Walmart, but Walmart doesn't carry such beasts... neither did Kmart, so it was off to Lowe's. Those things aren't cheap, but I was determined to succeed, so we bought it, brought it home, went through the same operations, and still no success. So in a fit of desperation, I put the old one back one, that only works every other time you flip it and set the smoke alarm nearby! Someone will come here to do something and I will sign them up and it will be done and right in no time flat!!
Does this picture scare you a little. OF COURSE I shut the electric off at the box, Mom!

This was our success for the weekend. Looks like something yummy, but only my washing machine knows for sure. Couldn't find the recipe I used with the Fels-Naptha soap for liquid laundry soap last time, so I found another on the internet and discovered at the end, that it made a bigger batch than before! I am storing some in old milk jugs left over from my spring mini-greenhouses. Along with the other containers that I had ready for this job.

And you know, if you grate the Fels-Naptha and then put it in the pot with the hot tap water and then take the dog for a walk, by the time you get home, most of the soap is already melted...it speeds up the actual watching-it-cook operation. Enough to last me for awhile, and that's what I wanted.

No comments: