Monday, August 10, 2009

Stockpiling at its worst...

My Mom loves me and she offered to come over while some of my kids were gone to camp and trips with friends to help me do some deep cleaner. This is one of her hobbies, so although I am taking advantage of the offer, just think of it like I am taking her to a quilting bee.
But I called her last night and said I wanted to wait until my kids are back in school, then we will pace ourselves. A deep clean day a week for a couple and not overdo it any day. Another reason for putting it off is because you are looking at my dining room table. You couldn't eat there right now on a bet. This is the contents of my pantry style kitchen cupboard. It was dark and lots of things just got lost in there and the residents of this house would say there is nothing to eat here and then I'd stock up at the grocery store and bring home gorceries I had no place to put away. I'm looking perhaps for some rolling shelves to install in that cupboard so stuff doesn't just get lost in the dark depths. 2 weeks ago I gave Dan a can of white paint and I told him to empty everything from the cupboard onto the dining room table for now and remove the shelves and paint that dark interior white to reflect more light. Then when dry enough I put the shelves back in and all the soup on the top shelf and maybe a half dozen other items and the rest is on the table still. I said we'd eat from there for a while. I had a ton of french cut green beans. This is the hubby's vegetable. He is picky about veggies and it is his first choice, so he always picks some up. I think there are a dozen cans. Quite a few cans of corn and 7 boxes of Uncle Ben's Country Inn Chicken Flavor rice. One box of this goes into the Chicken Wing soup we all like. But we really don't eat it in the summer...but if we want to make it, we always pick up a box or 2 to be safe, in case we don't have any.. Now I know I'm safe for the next 7 crockpots full of soup. Some of the stuff on the table is close to expire or just over the line. That stuff is high on the list. If they can't sell it in the store, it still has a little time left. Some stuff I just had to chuck. Now after we've eaten some more of this, I'll try to put it back in the cupboard so that others can see the method and find what they need and we don't go buy 5 more of what we already have, unless it's a great deal...and if we find a great deal, it will get put in its place and used up who knows what all this organization can lead to...

2 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Oh, geez! I'm been to a house that seems worse then yours. The husband's mother lives with them and she's always itching to spend money. She'll go to the store and get a huge supply of one thing if it's on sale. Nevermind that no one in the house eats the stuff. The worse part is they never know what they have. They store their food in cabinets that are pretty deep. The good news is if there was a blizzard that would be good for about a few weeks. Did I mention that they have 3 freezers full of food as well?

Anonymous said...

I get this way sometimes. I have waaaay to much stuff. But twice a year, WInter and Fall. I clean it out and label everything. Its purly for the fact that hubby gets upset that I asked him to pick something up and then we discover we have it already! About 4 boxes of it!