Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Boston ...and Cape Cod Hospital

Yeah, we went full-out sightseeing yesterday it was one of our days to explore. We drove to Boston and took the hop-on hop-off bus around for the day. We saw lots of great stuff and I really enjoy the bus. I have done that in many places...DC, Toronto, St Augustine, NYC.. I don't mind at all sitting on a bus while someone fills me in on the highlights and I don't have to be lost. Although after a while, I think we could have handled walking the Freedom Trail. That was kind of cool. we walked it a bit. We waited for the tour of Old Ironsides, the USS Constitution. That was cool. We were on the Mayflower 4 years ago, I think, when we were in Cape Cod last and that was really neat. Although my kids are quick to remind me that is in NOT the real Mayflower, it sure gives you a good (or bad) feel of what those folks lived in while traveling across the sea and while they set up a place to live. I guess that was something I never thought about. The trip across was grueling, but they had to BUILD the Motel 6 before they could leave that cold little ship...no one had left the light on for them. Cold and wet leaving the boat and coming back every single day...
So my pick of sights was around the corner from Paul Revere... it was Mike's Pastry, JenHen. THANKS! They made fun of me, but I knew it would be worth it. I found it's bright yellow sign, patiently waited in line and made my purchases, then we rode our hop-on-hop-off to the closest stop to our car. We had a little walk and I was paying attention, really I was and I was carefully carrying those cookies and cannoli's along when I stepped wrong, couldn't right myself and went down. Good thing there was string on that cannoli box!! There was a trio of steps that rose from the side and I guess I saw the first ones, but missed the third row starting a little later. I didn't try to save anything but myself. I put out my hands, Pastries flying and caught myself, but I wacked my right arm on the stone steps. I had some good scrapes, and one that really was deep. I was going to just keep going, but there was some blood, so after checking with the traffice police who was parked nearby-'no we have no first aid kit'- and they sent me over to the DMV building on the other side of the street, that was locked and the guard opened the door and said- 'no we don't have any bandaids either' and closed the door. Two kind ladies pointed out a CVS across the corner and hubby went to get something to cover my blood. While he was gone, one of the ladies went back to her work and got me a couple of gauze pads to help. She was an angel and they were glad to help out. Thank you to the common people who don't have to help, but do anyway. We patched me together, but I wanted to go to the cottage and so we walked on. We discussed options and then when we were back to Sandwich, hubby stopped for gas an a little info about where to go for stitched. The gas station guy told us to go to the firestation and they would help us.. We ate, took the kids to the cottage and went to the firestation. Does this sound nutty that I am doing all this first?? Naw, it's just me. A deep cut doesn't always bleed as much as a scrape. I went to the CCFD and the first aid guys cleaned it a little and gave us directions for the Cape Cod Hospital and stitches. We headed there, went through all the check in and treatment and I didn't even pass out...almost, but more breathes, in and out, in and out. A few stitches and I can't tell you how many, 'cuz I sure couldn't look ...and a tetanus shot for good measure, and I was on my way. Thanks for taking such good care of me and the new tan lines are going to look good. I was given a prescription for pain pills, but i am a toughy and would rather not if I don't have to. It hurts today like a bruise. So far so good. And I didn't roll on it in my sleep and wake myself up, so that is good. Whale watching today...think everyone here needs to get up!! Later...

3 comments:

Be Still and KNOW... said...

wow... hope the cannoli was spared.

seriously... glad you are ok. praying for you.

Hen Jen said...

oh no Karen Sue! I am so sorry this happened to you! Hope you are on the mend.

I saw the crushed box of cannolis, I would have eaten them anyways!!! did you?

I am always glad for kind people who pop in and out of our lives.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor darling! Just a note though, if you are going to break yourself, you shouldn't ever do it while on vacation. :)