Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Workin' For a Livin'

Do you wonder?? Why am I doing this?? Am I where I'm supposed to be?? What is my purpose in life??
Yeah, I just finished reading a book, a Christian Fiction book, that struck that chord with me.
I'm not always a good one to listen for what God is saying. I am thinking that GOD is so BIG and so MIGHTY, I'm waiting for the 2x4 to hit me with his answer. I TOTALLY have problems with the still, small voice that I know he uses. Reading this book helped me, along with the unbiased voice of a friend, to see - or hear- what I've been listening for. So, I'm thinking I'd like to do a bit of sewing classes. For kids - and adults. For moms and daughters...for boys and girls... The kind of stuff you could have learned in 4H or Home Ec, but either didn't learn it or don't remember it. Years ago, in college, I had the opportunity to take piano lessons. They were not your typical beginner lessons. I had taken flute for a year and been in the chorus and choir. I could read music, I just needed a little help getting it off the page and onto the keyboard. I was never going to be a concert pianist nor the church pianist. I was just learning to play for my enjoyment. And I did. And for our recital time, Neva found me a duet of Billie Joel's Piano Man, which was a happening tune back then and thanks to her experienced hands, it sounded wonderful. That's where my soft spot for Neva started. I miss her, as we do all loved ones. So in the spirit of this learning, I'd like to extend it to others...
I like to sew and craft, and I have taught in the past. This summer, I'm going to take a stab at holding a few classes. Sew things you like or need. Learn some beginning skills...I'm not grading the work and if you're OK with the seam being wiggly and it does the job, I'm OK with it,too. I want you to love what you're doing and have a smile on your face at the end of class. Perhaps simple PJ bottoms, or an apron or two...I made some pretty neat pillowecases that were not that difficult...a great way to snazz up your bed...maybe a bit of hand sewing and there's always a small quilt for your bed or just to snuggle up..even the fleece, no-sew. If you were looking, for you or your kids, what kind of things would YOU like to make??
***Attention***
This is one of those times when comments are GREATLY welcomed.

7 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I often need the 2x4, unfortunately.

But I am learning to listen!

=)

Lisa Loo said...

I'm a 2x4'er too.

I wish I lived closer cuz I would so LOVE to take that class! I teach piano lessons and can relate to the comment about just getting it off the page onto the keyboard. I just need help getting started--I'm afraid to re-take that first step!

Caroline in NH said...

I'd love to know what book it was! I do appreciate Christian fiction (and love that Amazon has so much Christian fiction free for Kindle!). About the sewing lessons - when I started, I was surprised at the stuff I didn't know - general procedure for following patterns, things like grading seams, etc. It's pretty hard to figure out if you didn't learn it young!

Be Still and KNOW... said...

HMMM.. I'll take a class when I come up in July... are you going to try to schedule group classes, or more one on one. I personally enjoy group ~ unless it's when my sister comes all the way from NY to teach me personally how to make a quilt!

I think this is a great idea ~ and a VERY good use of your many gifts. If my daughter comes with me, I'll make sure she is in the class as well...

Melissa Price said...

What a good idea! And you're right. Sewing is fast becoming a lost art. I think it would be wonderfully fulfilling to teach a sewing class.

Karen Sue said...

I didn't realize how many schools are cutting Home Ec and I guess I should appreciate what an opportunity I had..and now my kids have had a chance, too. Of course, their favorite was Food Prep!!

Anonymous said...

Schools down here have gotten rid of the sewing part but my girls enjoy it so we would be up for some classes!