Saturday, September 11, 2010

Just Thinking....

OK,...so now, that I'm grimacing...let me tell you that the WIFI connection here is sketchy at best and I just wrote a very neat post, but as I posted it, the microwave upstairs beeped and I sensed that I might be in trouble. Not sure what happened to all the autosaves that this thing is supposed to do while I write, but now I must begin again...
SO as I was saying........!!!

I have taken on a new, big project that started with a conversation with a friend, followed by a fabric shopping trip yesterday, where my hubby decided to combine our errands and wait in the car.... :o) He'll think that one through a little more next time!

and I got up early, because when I woke up I was really AWAKE!! You know those morning that you wake up and you roll over a couple of times and hunker back down and go to sleep. This was not one of those. This was the FULLY AWAKE morning, so I let the dog out and headed down to my creative spot. I had some sorting, marking, figuring, matching up and arranging. Did a little more internet research and surfing around for ideas and suggestions...
Then Willowe called, so we chatted for a while about projects and vegetables and canning and family and then we parted to make something happen.

I moved to the sewing machine and picked up block and started to sew. I decided that after years of having my last queen size quilt sideways on my King bed, it was time to make a quilt for the king...a big quilt....big enough for both of us to tuck under the edges and still be able to move. No more cover stealing...long sides....so my calculations led me to the place of around 350 squares. That's quite a few, and as I sewed I thought of how nice it is to have these kind of projects when you have friends around and you can just visit and sew and not really think too much. Some of our knitting is that way lately. Moral support or instruction, or just togetherness, but it is nice to sit with my friends and get going on something that we want to craft and just feel comfortable to sit for hours, with the occasional potty and drink refill breaks, but not the need to get up and move around and check on stuff that I have when I'm working alone at home. This group of friends that I have, I'm pretty blessed and I don't say it enough. We fill each other's needs for where we are in our lives right now. Although I don't like to think it right now, there may be a time, when life moves us in different directions and we aren't together like this anymore, but for now we'll embrace what we have...what we need.

But also, as I moved to my machine and began again to attack this stack of squares, I picked up several that had a sprinkling of glitter...not the big stiff craft glitter, but the sparkles from a yellow dress, made with love, for the end of high school celebrations....Mayday it was long, graduation- we cut it off and hemmed it and it was awesome again....it went to a wedding this summer. And everywhere that dress went, it left a little sunshine behind...pixie dust....the front AND back seats of the Cutlas, the inside of a graduation robe, the floor where she walked, on people she hugged, who wished her well in her future. There were sparkles in the sewing room, on the ironing board, in her room and everywhere in between, sprinkled in her hair and across her face everytime it dropped over her head. And then, someone who came after her to the wedding site and reception would look as the light picked up a little pixie dust here and there, just a reminder of the happiness that is to be had if you embrace life...if you give what you have, what you can, in LOVE to those you LOVE....the knowledge that it was worth it....every single minute. Wouldn't trade it ....

Thanks for being my people.... :o)

No comments: