Sunday, April 4, 2010

the Chalkboard wall...

Last year, I let my daughter re-do her room. She had a plan...and it included chalkboard paint....lots of it!! With a cathedral ceiling in there, you have a low wall, a high wall and 2 on a slant. She peeled wallpaper off the lower wall, then got the sander out to attempt to smooth away some of that 70's swirled plaster...painted a base coat on the whole thing and then orange around the top and sides and halfway up from the bottom... Then she taped off the chalkboard and applied several coats to the wall....she had a movie night to invite some of her girlfriends over to sign the wall...got a big bucket of sidewalk chalk...Turned out pretty cool, right??
My friend Gaye has a small wall going from hallway to kitchen painted with this chalkboard paint and I always thought that was neat, but it's not much wider than a regular chalkboard.As we moved into playoff time, she redid a bit of the stuff. Added some inspirational things...reminders to a senior who is playing her last season...And a few things that she has collected over time... These are 4 of those little girls who fell in love with the game and never looked back....
NY state champs at the Erie Zoo. First grade?? I'll have to look this one up!!
Warning: Lots of flashback coming up as I start going into panic mode for that graduation scrapbook project!!

4 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I love what she wrote on the blackboard wall. Such a cool poem! And also the part about playing for that little girl that fell in love with the game.

Thanks for sharing...

=)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

That is so cool! I know Joy would love something like that too! Maybe on the next makeover in a few years as a teenager!

Thanks for sharing!

Have a great day!
Tammy

Karen Sue said...

Sue-
Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat. and then I found the picture of those 4 little girls!!

Tammy-
I was afraid it would be way too dark, but she has a good, big window and there's a lot of white there on the ceiling and tops of the other walls. I think it could be great for any budding artist. Not sure how hard it will be to cover up, but maybe that will eventually become one of my crafty spots, and I will create on it myself!

Hen Jen said...

aww, that's really sweet!

I have a chalkboard wall in my dining room area.